Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Food Storage for those who love cooking

Do you love cooking?

Do you hunt online weekly or daily for a new recipe to try?

Do you gag at the thought of using cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup in your cooking?

I can honestly say "NO" to all of those questions, but I do know people who would say yes.

I've recently learned that these cookin' lovin' people don't like following the food storage advice given in literature or on the Internet.

Most "specialists" say to:
  • Adapt favorite recipes for food storage
  • Buy extra of what you normally buy (assuming it's not perishable)
  • Make sure every meal uses a food storage item (pasta, rice, wheat, beans, oats, etc...or something canned) to get your family used to it.

But how does that work if you don't...excuse me...if you WILL NOT buy a canned food item and have 365 x 3 different meals a year if you could.

Good question!

Besides "Just suck it up!"...I've only heard of one other bit of food storage advice for cooking lovers and that's...

FREEZE-DRIED FOOD

Yes, it's more expensive, but I've heard the chicken actually tastes like normal chicken. The Green Bell Peppers tastes just like fresh peppers, etc, etc, etc.

For more options, see beprepared.com

How is Food Freeze-Dried (from Emergency Essentials)?

"To create freeze-dried food, the item is first flash frozen, then a low-level heat is applied inside a vacuum chamber this special process dehydrates the product without changing the cell structure of the food. Finally, the food is packed for long-term storage. This process retains much of the color, texture, shape, flavor, and nutrition."

If you have enough money budgeted for food/food storage, I'd give it a try.

But I do have a question for all those anti-cream of chicken soup cooks out there that have been holding up a food storage for the last x years...

What do you do for your food storage, especially your three month supply?

No comments:

Post a Comment