I'm visiting my in-laws, and I discovered something on BYU TV. They have this show called Living Essentials. I don't know how often they talk about food storage, but when I turned on the TV Monday, they talked about dehydrating food.
Here's some little blips from the show and online...
"Dried food can be a great staple in food storage and an inexpensive way to prepare good convenience mixes for fast cooking. Knowing how to dry foods and use them can give you additional variety for your cooking and food storage."
"Dried foods are used to create convenience mixes which can add quality and convenience to your cooking. Dehydrated foods add variety to home storage as well as everyday cooking. They are easy to store and take much less space than canned or fresh foods."
They gave a recipe for Instant Oatmeal Packets
- 1 1/2 cups instant oatmeal
- 3/4 cup powdered oats
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 cup flavored fruit bits (strawberry, peach, or apple)
- 1/4 cup sweetened drink mix (lemonade, peach or apple)
Mix all ingredients together. Store in airtight container.
To Serve: Add 1 cup of water to 1 packet. Cook over medium heat until thickened or microwave 1-2 minutes.
This recipe would work well in pouches (especially if you have your own personal pouch sealer) or put them in separate little bags and put the bags in a well sealed jar.
I don't know if they still have information about dehydrating food on the Living Essentials website, but they do have other interesting information you can check out.
Other websites recommended are...www.uga.edu/nchfp
fiascofarm.com
cheesemaking.com
DairyConnection.com
SurvivalistSkill.com
grandmascountry.com
Also, at our next food storage Relief Society meeting, there will be a demo on food dehydration. So come!!! It's Thursday, May 20th, 7:30-9:00 in the Relief Society room.
No comments:
Post a Comment