Sunday, May 30, 2010

Blender Wheat Pancake Recipe

My mother-in-law told me that if you don't use wheat within 45 minutes after you grind it into flour, the wheat looses a large part of its nutritional value. I don't know what that exactly means for the wheat flower sold at the grocery stores, but it is no big deal if you use your food storage wheat right after you send it through your wheat grinder. However, if you're like me and have a huge, honky-tonky, wooden wheat grinder from the 60s that's extremely impractical to use in an apartment setting on a regular basis, then it's rather discouraging to hear that I can't get the full nutrition out of my wheat flour a week or even a day after I go through a wheat grinding binge.

I found hope when I found this recipe (and hopefully I'll find more like it) in a Iowa City Wards cookbook from my sister. It's a recipe for wheat pancakes using wheat grains/berries, what wheat is when you buy it from the Cannery before you put it through the wheat grinder.

Blender Wheat Pancakes

3/4 c. wheat grains (not ground into flour)
1 c. milk
3 eggs
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. oil or melted butter

Pour wheat grains into blender with milk. Blend on high for 4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; blend. Pour onto hot griddle.

Word of caution: The blender is very loud when you're blending the wheat grains and milk, and you have to endure the noise for 4 full minutes. I don't recommend doing it a 6:45 on a Saturday morning if you live in an apartment with 4 other apartments connected to yours. I did, and...yeah...I won't do it again.

Kids might need to get used to their taste. My son, Josh (3 yrs), hasn't been too excited by them because they aren't Bisquick pancakes like we've always had before, but he'd nearly eat a whole one everytime I give him one for breakfast. I think they are great, but my opinion might be skewed because I feel so cool making them...using my food storage wheat in my blender and all. They make a lot. I freeze the ones we don't eat and eat and enjoy them later.

One more thing about this recipe, I found another one just like it in my husband's grandma's Provo stake cookbook. In that sister's recipe, it was nearly the same, but it called for only 1 tsp. baking soda and half the oil or melted butter.

If you'd like to try the recipe and don't have wheat grains, let me know. I have plenty that I can share.

ANNOUNCEMENT: I'm starting a recipe drive. I'd like to make a booklet of food storage recipes people in the ward use. Email me if you have any recipes you use, please.

Thanks! Happy Food Storage Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment