Friday, September 10, 2010

Oatmeal Recipes

My mother's stake food storage specialist in Ohio sends out a newsletter ever so often. This time, my mother forwarded me the newsletter. The stake specialist had a segment dedicated to Oatmeal recipes. Here are the recipes. I recommend reading through them. I think they're pretty interesting, especially the last two.

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins

  • 1 egg

  • 3/4 cup milk

  • 1 cup raisins

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

  • 1 cup whole wheat or white flour

  • 1/3 cup sugar

  • 3 tsp baking powder

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon

  • 1 cup rolled oats.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin tin. Beat egg, stir in milk, raisins, and oil. Stir in remaining ingredients all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fill
muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately.

Overnight Oatmeal

In a microwaveable bowl mix 1 cup oatmeal, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup
apple juice, apple pieces (optional), raisins, nuts, etc. Let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
The next morning warm the oatmeal in the microwave.

Crockpot Oatmeal

  • 2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 T. Butter, melted

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 cup finely chopped apple

  • 1/2 cup raisins or dates

  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, or almonds.

Spray inside crockpot. Put ingredients inside and mix well. Cover
& cook on low overnight (8-9hrs). Makes four cups.

The only recipe I tried was the last one, the crockpot one. Except, I did it without the nuts. I loved the taste that the chopped apples gave the oatmeal, but I wasn't a fan of the mushy texture.

I know...I know...Oatmeal's supposed to be mushy, but the overnight cooking made the oatmeal much more mushy than it's usual mushiness...which lead me to believe...the nuts shouldn't be optional in this recipe...at least the almonds anyway. The almonds would have given the oatmeal that crunch that my tongue, teeth, taste puds, stomach...heck, my whole being wished the dish had had.

I was also thinking maybe I'll try only putting half of the chopped apples and raisins the night before and add the rest in the morning before serving. What do you think?

Another thing in the recipe directions that I didn't do that would have saved me from intensive crockpot scrubbing...I didn't use Pam (or my Kroger spray equivalent). I will NOT miss that step again.

Anyway...

Do you have any food storage oatmeal recipes you wish to share? I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'd only leave a quarter of the apples and raisins out, so the oatmeal can still have that flavor you liked. Or you could add more than the recipe calls for.

    I've been told I've make awesome oatmeal cookies. I think it's the eggs I used. They are eggs from special vegetarian chickens (or something like that). Anyway, I'm hooked. I like doing all my baking with them. But, they're $2 a dozen.

    ReplyDelete