First and foremost, they suggest starting with water, building your water storage.
I thought that was interesting, but it does make sense. You can survive something like 2 to 3 weeks without food, but you can't go more than 2 or 3 days without water.
My husband and I use three different ways to store water. Namely...
- Used juice bottles with PETE on the bottom
- 5 gallon jugs/collapsible containers purchased from an outdoors store
- Purchased water bottles, bought in bulk
Other families store those hug, blue water jugs that you see office break rooms or hallways.
If you already store water, what containers do you use? And where do you store it? We have some under the sink, in our sons' closet, and stacked in a corner.
It's recommended by numberless websites to have at least 14 gallons of water per person on hand. That's two weeks worth based on the 1-gallon-per-day rule of thumb.
After hurricane Ike swept through, Nate and I were fortunate not to loose our power, but the mayor had stated that the tab water wasn't safe to use. In that moment I was grateful for the water we had stored. We didn't have to boil water all the time before we used it. We had it already available in the juice bottles, water bottles, and jugs we had in store.
For more information on storing water see the Drinking Water post.
After you get the water taken care of or mostly taken care of, I suggest either building a 72 hour/hurricane kit(s) for your family or building a week or 2 week supply of food that you can prepare without electricity depending on what you feel prompted to do. I think both are important during the hurricane season.
Two summers ago, hurricane Ike left 19 out of 20 homes without power. In our ward, while some families just had a day without power, others went a full week or so without power.
Look here for a basic 72 hour checklist.
To see ideas for an example two week emergency supply of food, go to the Emergencykitchen.com post.
We have our 72 hour kits in backpacks and a travel bag. I've seen some people but theirs in travel carry-on size suitcases that roll.
What do you use for your 72 hour kits? What foods do you stock up on for hurricane season? I'd love to know.
So we had a preparedness talk in church last week. One of the speakers said dealing with the weather--staying cool or staying warm--during emergencies is essential to prepare for. What are your thoughts on this? Fires in winter somehow? Paper fans in the summer? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteThis lady at Bed, Bath, and Beyond tried to sell me on an 12" or so battery powered fan for $24. I would have been interested if I felt rich. The paper fans is a nice economical idea.
ReplyDeleteFor winter, my first thought is hand warmers. If you did have a place to put a fire, I'd be all for that, but not everyone has reasonable place to put. My second thought is Sterno Fuel, using a canister as a heat source for warmth as opposed to cooking, but the flame might be to small/compact to be a practical method for staying warm.
Anybody else have any thoughts?
I like the hand warmers idea. During one "FedEx" Christmas Mom gave us tons of hand and feet warmers. I think I gave a lot of them away.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of a Sterno Fuel. Sounds good.
I thought just now of laying up. But how would you make sure you had enough layers for everyone and that could be a part of a 72 hr kit. Hmmm...
Seems like questions bring up more questions.