Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Drinking Water

The information I posted here comes from providentliving.org, but I've added remarks in italics.

Here it goes:

Commercially bottled water in PETE (or PET) plastic containers may be purchased. Follow the containers' best if used by dates as a rotation guideline. Avoid plastic containers that are not PETE. I once bought some water that came in 2.5 gallon jugs that came in boxes. Unfortunately, I didn't know that they weren't PETE until I opened the boxes at home. I pretty much only use juice and soda bottles to store water now.

If you choose to package water yourself, consider the following guidelines:


Containers
  • Use only food-grade containers. Smaller containers made of PETE plastic or heavier plastic buckets or drums work well.
  • Clean, sanitize, and thoroughly rise all containers prior to use. A sanitizing solution can be prepared by adding 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of liquid household chlorine bleach (5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite) to one quart (1 liter) of water. Only use household bleach without thickeners, scents, or additives.
  • Do not use plastic milk jugs, because they do not seal well and tend to become brittle over time. We had a milk jug filled with water in our car for quite a while because our radiator at the time over heated quite frequently. I could tell that the plastic wasn't strong any more and quite frail. Of course, I didn't notice until I wondered why my road map was warped and had wet stains.
  • Do not use containers previously used to store non-food products.

Water Pretreatment

  • Water from a chlorinated municipal water supply does not need further treatment when stored in clean, food-grade containers.
  • Non-chlorinated water should be treated with bleach. Add 1/8 teaspoon (8 drops) of liquid household chlorine bleach (5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite) for every gallon (4 liters) of water. Only household bleach without thickeners, scents, or additives should be used.

Storage

  • Containers should be emptied and refilled regularly. But I've also read on beprepared.com that "if water is: A) Free of Microorganisms. B) If the container is made of food grade materials. C) The container is clean and tightly closed. D) The container is kept from sunlight. Then it will remain safe indefinitely." Another source says to rotate your water storage at least once a year.
  • Store water only where potential leakage would not damage your home or apartment. Our water's all over the floor in the closet in Josh and Caleb's room in juice and soda pop bottles. If I make sure they're upright and their lids are screwed on tight, than I think we're save from damage (knock on wood).
  • Protect stored water form light and heat. Some containers may also require protection from freezing.
  • The taste of stored water can be improved by pouring it back and forth between two containers before using.

Additional Information

Note: The following links are not to official Church publications but are provided as additional resource material:

www.fema.gov/plan/prepare/water

www.redcross.org/services/prepare

I've read on beprepared.com that preparedness authorities recommend storing at least 14 gallons of water per person. That's 56 gallons for a family of 4. Storage is always a difficulty, but be creative, start small, and gradually build. Good luck.

Why do we need to store water? I just remember when we couldn't use the water out of the tab for drinking/consumption during Hurricane Ike. I was grateful to have a supply of water already safe for use.

Another good website is

http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/babysteps/step-2-water/

...the comments are pretty interesting to read through.

No comments:

Post a Comment