I posted about this recipe awhile ago, but hadn't tried it yet. I have now tried it. Although it's not the most delicious recipe that ever was, I do like it and have learned a lot from it.
Here's the recipe
Rice-A-Roni
1 c long grain rice
1 c broken pieces of vermicelli pasta
2 Tbs. butter or oil
1 Tbs. chicken bouillon granules
1 t. dried parsley, crumbled
1/8 t. white pepper
4 1/2 c. hot water
Brown the vermicelli and rice in a saucepan with the butter or oil. Add all other ingredients and cook for 20 minutes. The rice will be light and fluffy. Serves 4.
I've a confession to make. I haven't yet followed the recipe to this day, and I've made it about half a dozen times. In fact, I made it today.
First off, I half the recipe for my family of two adults, a preschooler and a toddler.
Now, this is how I've been making it...
Having lately discovered the greatness of freezers in storing food, I pulled out some frozen red bell pepper and onions (all pre-chopped of course). I sauteed them with a clove of garlic for about 5 minutes. Then I added the inch-long broken up spaghetti (what I substitute for vermicelli) and rice to the saucepan to brown. After that, I added about 2 1/4 cups of water (remember I'm halving the recipe), a small can of chicken, frozen parsley, a cut up chicken bouillon cube (they're surprisingly easy to cut), and a couple shakes of pepper.
It tasted good. We ate it with mixed veggies. If I was a little more proactive, we would have eaten it with grapes as well.
Food storage items used
rice
pasta
canned chicken
onions (if dried or frozen)
peppers (if dried or frozen)
various herbs or spices you have in your pantry, freezer or garden
Anyway...I hope this recipe can give you ideas on how you can use your food storage items.
No comments:
Post a Comment