
For this hurricane season, it might be beneficial to look into an alternative heat source for cooking that doesn't require electricity.
I've taken a look at Sterno Fuel.
Here's quick FAQs on the Sterno Website
What is Sterno® Cooking Fuel made of?
Sterno® fuel is a formulation of denatured alcohol, water and gel. It is perfectly safe when used as directed.
What happens if the cooking fuel is consumed internally?If Sterno® is ingested, please immediately call Poison Control at 1-888-313-8954.
A medical specialist will advise you of the appropriate course of action. This number is staffed by certified medical professionals and is for MEDICAL EMERGENCIES ONLY. Alternately, you may seek medical attention.
For all other consumer inquiries please call 1-877-478-3766 and press 2 to speak to a customer service representative.
Can food be prepared directly over the flame?
Although the emissions will not cause harm, it is not recommended. Certain foods may drip or burn and cause dangerous flare-ups resulting in bodily harm or damage to property. Do not attempt to eat any food that has fallen into the can or may have cooking fuel on it.
How long does Sterno® burn?
The 8 oz. can burns consistently or in increments equal to 2 1/2 hours. The 7 oz. can burns consistently or in increments equal to 2 1/4 hours. The 2.6 oz. can burns consistently or in increments equal to 45 minutes. The cooking fuel is extinguishable and can be re-lit without affecting product performance.
Will Sterno® Freeze?
No.
How long can I keep Sterno® on my shelf?
It is recommended replacing Sterno® cooking fuel 2 years after purchase. Always replace cover when not in use. Sterno® is made partly of denatured alcohol which evaporates from prolonged exposure to air.
How can I dispose of old cooking fuel?
If it is only a few cans, make sure the lid is secured tightly and dispose in a normal manner. If it is a large quantity, contact your local waste collection service for information.
The flame is blue, is that normal?
The flame from an alcohol mixture is normally blue and sometimes invisible. Always assume a flame is present until properly extinguished (see can label). Safe handling procedures should always be used when lighting and re-lighting. For a detailed chart of product safety handling tips – Click Here.
I also browsed around google to see what people say about sterno, and I found this website.
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0022l5
On it a woman asks...
"A widow who lives in a small apartment needs an inexpensive way to cook / heat foods. If I get her some sterno cans what is available to to place over the fire to cook in? Would she need to leave a window cracked?"
The question caught my attention because if a hurricane hit and we were caught in our home with no electricity how would we use sterno?
One person wrote,
"I had the same dilemma. I then got the 'ole thinking cap on and here are some ideas, most can be purchased at a thrift store for $1 or under:
1. Fondue cooker (comes with pan and raised heat area)
2. 4 bricks set on sides and a makeshift grill across it
3. Same as two but make it tall enough for your oil lamp (sans glass) to go under it and have a flame adjuster to boot!
4. Colander type pan (metal) upside down with fuel underneath.
Go visit all your nearby thrift stores and let your imagination do the work! It's inexpensive and fun - the goal is dual purpose for everything, and then you win ;-) "
Another person wrote, "if you can run out to HomeDepot or any garden center and see if you can get a thin piece of slate or Marble or any stone type material.
Its heavy but its the best thing to put between your cooker and your table. Heat dissipates well and wont burn at any temp. "
Reading it got me thinking about items I already had, and I remembered that I have a fondue cooker that I have stored away somewhere that I got as wedding gift. So...all I need is some sterno, and I'm set to cook after a hurricane wipes out the electricity.
However, reading more also gave me two things to consider.
1. Sterno takes 10-12 minutes to boil water
2. "Sterno is only good for warming up the precooked food, such as canned soup or MRE, just like the military's trioxane tablet canteen stove." Of course, that's a person's opinion, but in an emergency/power's off situation, I don't recommend cooking anything much fancier than canned meals and food that tells you to just add boiling water (i.e. ramen-like food and instant oatmeal).
Anyway, I hope that gets your brains a-turnin' about hurricane season.
I found a sterno like product at Sam's. You get 12 fuel cans for $12.76. Each can gives you enough fuel for 6 hrs of cooking. I didn't check the package's expiration date, but if it is indeed like sterno, it'll last 2 years on the shelf.
This is all FYI, but...Happy Preparing for Hurricane Season!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment