It's interesting to note that the Church itself doesn't stress having 72 hour kits anymore, but it does encourage members to prepare a simple emergency plan. Telling us to consider having ...
Three-month supply of food that is part of your normal daily diet.
Drinking water.
Financial reserves.
Longer-term supply of basic food items.
Medication and first aid supplies.
Clothing and bedding.
Important documents.
Ways to communicate with family following a disaster.
Knowing that hurricanes strike where we live, we should make sure we add what's needed to be prepared for hurricanes to the above list.
I was looking at a website run by the National Weather Service, and it gives a lot of good information about hurricanes and how to prepare for them.
A quote on the website says "preventing the loss of life and minimizing the damage to property from hurricanes are responsibilities that are shared by all." In other words, do your part in preparing for the hurricane.
The website suggests to...
- Develop a Family Plan
- Create a Disaster Supply kit
- Have a Place to Go
- Secure your Home
- Have a Pet Plan
Before I mention anything else, I should say that if you are asked to evacuate, you should do so without delay. But unless you live in an extremely high risk area, it's unlikely you'll be asked to evacuate. So, it's important for you to have a plan of what you're going to do.
To develop a Family Plan, the website says to...
- Discuss the type of hazards that could affect your family. Know your home's vulnerability to storm surge, flooding and wind. If you live in an apartment, the leasing office should know.
- Locate a safe room or the safest areas in your home for each hurricane hazard. In certain circumstances the safest areas may not be your home but within your community.
- Determine escape routes from your home and places to meet.
- Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact, so all your family members have a single point of contact.
- Make a plan now for what to do with your pets if you need to evacuate.
- Post emergency telephone numbers by your phones and make sure your children know how and when to call 911.
- Check your insurance coverage - flood damage is not usually covered by homeowners insurance. National Flood Insurance Program
- Stock non-perishable emergency supplies and a Disaster Supply Kit.
- Use a NOAA weather radio. Remember to replace its battery every 6 months, as you do with your smoke detectors.
- Take First Aid, CPR and disaster preparedness classes.
Their suggested Disaster Supply Kit includes...
- Water - at least 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days
- Food - at least enough for 3 to 7 days (non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices, foods for infants or the elderly, snack foods, non-electric can opener, cooking tools /fuel, paper plates / plastic utensils)
- Blankets / Pillows, etc.
- Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes
- First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs
- Special Items - for babies and the elderly
- Toiletries / Hygiene items / Moisture wipes
- Flashlight / Batteries
- Radio - Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
- Telephones - Fully charged cell phone with extra battery and a traditional (not cordless) telephone set
- Cash (with some small bills) and Credit Cards - Banks and ATMs may not be available for extended periods
- Keys
- Toys, Books and Games
- Important documents - in a waterproof container or watertight resealable plastic bag— insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.
- Tools - keep a set with you during the storm
- Vehicle fuel tanks filled
- Pet care items— proper identification / immunization records / medications, ample supply of food and water, a carrier or cage, muzzle and leash
Interestingly, if you're keeping up with a three month supply and having enough water to last 14 days for your family, you just need to set a little bit aside to use for your Hurricane disaster kit for the season.
A day or two before Hurricane Ike a year and a half ago, the grocery store selves for canned items and dry goods were almost completely barren. I'd never seen anything like it. I was grateful to already have water and food stored at home. The funny thing, however, was that I was at the grocery store to get quarters to do the laundry before the storm hit because I didn't know the next time I could do it and the laundry needed to be done. To my annoyance, the service desk at the grocery store was closed during normal hours, and I didn't want to waste gas driving to the bank (they probably were closed anyway). Luckily, I was able to borrow quarters from a friend. Otherwise, our family wouldn't have had enough clothes and bedding for the next week. From that experience I learned that any suggested list for a disaster kit isn't all inclusive. If I would have put some thought into what my family needed to be prepared for the hurricane, I would have seen that we would've been out of clean clothes the day before the hurricane strikes and seen that shoot...I don't have any quarters.
Not wanting to over stuff this post, I'll talk about having a Place to Go, securing your Home, and having a Pet Plan in another post.
Best wishes.
No comments:
Post a Comment