Sunday, February 7, 2010

Longer-term supply



The fourth and final topic of the Family Home Storage Pamphlet is the Longer-term supply. The pamphlet simply says that "for longer-term needs, and where permitted, gradually build a supply of food that will last a long time and that you can use to stay alive, such as wheat, white rice, and beans."

The following chart shows what the Church recommends storing and at what quantities for a single adult.



So, if you want to build a year supply for two adults, the church recommends you getting 600 lbs of grains (25lbs * 2 people *12 months) and 120 lbs of dry beans (5lbs * 2 people *12 months). My husband, Nate, and I decided to just get 9 months worth of grains and dry beans since we already had a three month supply of food.

The Church also says on providentliving.org that "you may also want to add other items to your longer-term storage such as sugar, nonfat dry milk, salt, baking soda, and cooking oil. To meet nutritional needs, also store foods containing Vitamin C and other essential nutrients."

Having grains and beans, I believe, is a good starting point for your foods storage. That is all Nate and I have right now. Soon, I do want to add the rest of the food mentioned above (sugar, nonfat dry milk, etc.)

Random thought: I'm finding that nonfat dry milk is a good item to have now that milk is getting more and more expensive. By itself, I'm not a big fan of dry milk's taste, but it's a good economical substitute for milk when cooking/baking.

Please note that the Food Storage Pamphlet says "to gradually build a food supply that will last a long time." It said to "gradually build" not to have a headache buying it all at once, and it said that you should get enough to last "a long time" not specifically "for a year." I think, however, building enough food for a year is a good goal.

How do you get your food storage?
Well, I actually made this information a post of it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment